Thursday, June 14, 2007

Still Here

Hello boys and girls, Moms & Dads, children of alllll... ages - Yes, I am still here. I just laid low for a couple of days because there was too much of a frenzy building up and it seemed the best course to take to let things calm down, myself included.

I have to admit my own part in not following some of my own rules and letting myself get waaaay off-topic. I will try harder to prevent this from happening again. As additional information, the Post with the email list was removed by request of a friend of mine who convinced me it was more incendiary than helpful. I was not contacted by Blogspot. They never threatened to pull the post or the blog. So for those out there who speculated as much, sorry to disappoint, but it was purely voluntary.

It did have it's purpose though because you will see it flushed out those commenters who were only trolls. Baiting me with outrageous statements to get me off the message. When I stick to the message, the situation is very clear. As long as Bisno Development can mitigate the traffic for whatever they build, our community will benefit. The building is going to happen anyway as pointed out by a commenter on another blog (km). Only if the Ponte Vista property is broken up and sold to assorted builders, you can't predict what type of smorgasbord of architecture, size, density, etc. etc.. And of course each of the smaller developments cannot be held responsible for the mitigation of the entire Western Avenue problem, as would Bisno. The most they could be asked to do would be contribute to ATSAC. We all know that by itself trying to use ATSAC as a complete mitigation solution is a joke.

Monday Mr. Bisno will announce his new plan which has taken into consideration things they have heard from the community, their own focus group, and Councilwoman Hahn's CAC. I beleive no matter what he unveils, the R-1 gang will not like it. They have made their position very clear. They want NOTHING. They want San Pedro to remain the isolated, economically disadvantaged enclave it is. There is no compromise with this group as they have ably demonstrated.

Therefore I call on Councilwoman Hahn to take a deep breath, step back from the fray for a second, and take a look at how this project would have a huge positive influence on your district. I know the last few months there have been things which have happened which caused you a bit of upset. It's time to put that behind us and look for the greater good of the community.

I hope to see some comments on what people would hope to see Bisno present, and also after he reveals his new plan, some intelligent discussion.

I am going to leave moderation off, so unfortunately we will have to work around superfluous statements whose only purpose is to confuse the discussion and pull us off-topic again. This time I will try much harder to ignore them. I ask your patience also.

Additionally, there had been some discussion about attempting to track where posts were coming from, with the idea to find me. For what purpose, I do not know (perhaps like back in high school, to beat me up?). Because of that, I've taken steps to ensure that they will be untraceable.

Along those lines, the R-1 gang actually has someone inside the Daily Breeze illegally breaking every confidentiality law by looking up my letter to the editor to obtain my telephone number and then giving the number to the R-1 group. Given the extreme turnover of personnel at the Breeze and the vehement anti-Bisno stance of a few of their writers, I had anticipated they would not be able to resist the temptation to break confidentiality. I've lived in San Pedro too long to not know this, and did not use my home number. Instead I used a friend's extra line and he forwarded that line to my mobile phone for a week. He got put in the middle of this by some of the R-1 group. I offer my sincere apologies to him. I did it as a precaution and he did me a favor, but the R-1 gang sunk down to my lowest expectations and put him in the middle.

In any event, I still do not comprehend why it is so important (in the minds of the R-1 gang) to know who I am and where I live. I am not the issue here. The Ponte Vista project is. That is what we are discussing here. So let's stay on-topic.

I'm looking forward to some intelligent and spirited discussions over the new plan.

Tom Field

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny you continue to spew your rhetoric about how "isolated and economically disadvantaged" San Pedro is, and how Bisno Development is for the greater good of this community. You are no better than the "R1 Gang".
Also, from your own comments, you don't even live in San Pedro any more. You don't live here, your kids don't live here....what's in it for "Tom"? I seem to remember you claiming to be a business owner in San Pedro. Is that what it's about "Tom"? A larger population in San Pedro, means more money in "Tom's" pocket? The picture of "Tom" is making more sense.

Anonymous said...

The only way we could stay on topic is to ignore most of your post Tom.

Funny how you talk about the 'R1 gang' breaking the the confidentiality laws. I signed the R1 petition, but I didn't get your phone number. I didn't see Mark's or the R1's website publishing your phone number either.. unlike others blogs who were publishing people's email addresses...

Ok back to the subject. You "call on Councilwoman Hahn to take a deep breath, step back from the fray for a second, and take a look at how this project would have a huge positive influence on your district" . Did you read the LA Weekly articles on 'Smart Growth' that were posted on Mark's website? It looks like other districts didn't do so well with the kind of dense housing you want.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tom said...

The email list was sent out to hundreds of people byMark Wells and Jody James. That makes it public domain.

The phone number on my Letter to the Editor was private and supposed to have been held in confidence by the Daily Breeze. A Daily Breeze employee breached that confidentiality by accessing whatwas supposed to be a secure record and gave the information out to a non-employee for use other than the published purpose. The Daily Breeze has residual liability that you should not brush off so lightly.