Monday, June 4, 2007

Double Standards/ Misrepresentations

R Neighborhoods Are 1 claims to have gathered petitions with signatures number in the excess of 8,000. Of course they won't release them to the public, and all addresses and telephone numbers have been didacted.

It makes me wonder whether most of these people even exist. Perhaps Mark Wells is counting the petitions the same way he counts real estate listings? Just keep counting each page over and over, ignoring any duplication.

The reason I bring this up, is that I received some information about the first R-1 meeting. Has anyone noticed, besides me, that no one involved with the R-1 movement has bothered to mention how many people attended their "rally"?

There were 47 people total in attendance. They could not get even 50 people to show up. And that included people like Mark & Terri Wells, Doug Epperhart, Rob & Lucie Thorsen, Andy Mardesich, John Stinson, Bruce Horton? Basically all the members of the steering committee; about 15 people. Doing the simple math, that would mean they were able to get 32 people from the community out to a rally from a pool of "thousands" who had allegedly signed petitions.

So either they are not reporting the number of signatures on their petitions correctly, or the people just do not really care about this issue. Something doesn't smell right.


I think it is both. They demand Bisno Development provide full-disclosure, yet the R-1 gang will not. They will not let anyone see their petitions and they will not disclose who their steering committee is. This is understandable. It is easier to work in the dark.

To Janice Hahn I say, do not be fooled by these loud-mouthed trouble-makers. They should be treated with the stature they have - minuscule. Besides, most of them were part of the secession movement and didn't vote for you in the past anyway. You are not going to lose anything if you lose their "support".

The reality is, the R-1 gang is an extremely small group who shouts very loudly. They make a lot of noise and threats, but the bottom line is they do not speak for the community.

Tom Field

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ever driven around town and see all those signs on people's lawns?

Tom said...

Anonymous 1:46pm

Lawn signs are like petitions. Put them out once and forget them. The fact still remains, people don't support the R-1 gang actively.

Tom

Anonymous said...

So you are calling Ms. Hahn a fool for paying attention to the R1 movement?

I think she sees the writing on the wall. (or the signatures on the petition) She knows that the R1 movement is powerful grassroots democracy at its best. It will be the defining issue of her career. She will either side with the powerful developer or stand up with the people.

Tom said...

Anonymous 9:16pm

It's obvious you are just commenting on everything just to stir up more controversy. Are you certain you aren't Michael.Mecaher or Ted.Carlson?

Please do not put words into my mouth. I did not make any comment about the Councilwoman. She has got a tough call to make.

It is much more complicated than "the people" on one side and "developer" on the other. There are people on the development side as well. But typical to the attitude you've displayed unless their opinion matches yours it doesn't count.

NOTE TO OTHER READERS: Please excuse me if I turn moderating back on, but this fool and his comments just to stir up trouble are the reason.

Tom Field

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

i thought your website was going to stay focused on ponte vista. now all you do is rant about r1 proponents. it's getting very old and boring to read your blog anymore and your moderation makes me wonder how many are really just good questions or point of view you don't want to acknowledge.publishing e-mail addresses of anyone is weak to say the least. I thought you were going to take the high road on this site,but i'm not seeing it.

Tom said...

Anonymous 7:03am

YOUR comment was posted immediately because I took moderation off. For a few days I was being swamped by the same couple sentences being put as a comment on every post, and several times at that. It forced me to delete them and artificially made it look as if I was suppressing comments.

I would like to get back to talking about the project, but I have to admit I allowed myself to be dragged off into talking about the R-1 people because a few of them were creating arguments just for argument's sake.

But thank you for the suggestion. I'll try to keep it from getting boring.

Tom

Tom said...

Anonymous 7:03am

Have you noticed all the enlightened comments which have popped up since I took moderation off? This is what I have been deleting, but it seems no one seems to mind reading it, si I'll leave them up.

Anonymous said...

Tom -
You are so wrong. The 8000 signatures do mean alot. It sends a message to Janice Hahn that she can potentially lose or gain votes based on her decision regarding Ponte Vista. 8000 and counting is a pretty large population to gamble on if you are a smart politician. I'll tell you one thing, I'm not a Janice Hahn fan, but if she does the right thing with Ponte Vista and upholds R1, she has my vote!