Friday, June 1, 2007

On-line Etiquette

I have had many comments and emails disagreeing with my suggestions for Ponte Vista. Some of them quite emphatic. I hope readers understand why I have had to turn "moderating" back on. I want to discuss issues relating to the project and how it affects San Pedro. There is no place on this blog for people going "wah, wah, wah,", or other similar insult (because I delete an inappropriate comment, that qualifies me as a "cry-baby"), or name calling or attempting to bait me into a fight. As one commentor said on Mark Wells' blog last week, "Ooh, a blog war. How productive."

They were exactly correct. It serves no purpose and is not productive. But when I have moderation off, the trolls come-a-posting. And then they go back to Mr. Wells' blog and brag about how they love to enjoy baiting me.

In Mr. Wells' defense, he has asked many times on his blog that his readers and R-1 supporters be polite when they comment here. However, he cannot control them and I do not hold him responsible. He does his best to get the message out, I cannot ask any more.

The last thing I have to say (in this post at least) about this, is one of the reasons I am trying to keep things civil is because after the dust settles, we are still going to be neighbors and have to live together. Things said in anger or frustration now could come back later and that would be a real pity.

So once again I have to ask that if you want to be sarcastic, or write personal attacks against anyone (me, my family, other commentors) please take it somewhere else. My email is shown on the blog. Send me personal nasty-grams if you like. Just keep it of the blog. However I suspect these people get a kick out of seeing themselves and their insults being published, so they will continue. It is just too bad.

Nevertheless, I will still manage.

Tom Field

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take it like a man Tom, and just answer the questions that are raised about your thinking and logic. It seems that anyone who questions you without prefacing it with "praise Tom" statements is considered mean, nasty and uncivil. How thin is your skin Tom? This is a public forum where you (Tom) pour out your thoughts so they can be read, argued, criticized or agreed to, Right? Leave the "uncivil" statements posted and either respond or let others respond or even ignore. What's the problem? You have attacked and insulted me and others in the past. So yes, when you "silence" people because you don't like what is being written or you don't have real answers, it makes me happy when I see that I bother you so much.

Admit it Tom, you are playing a game here. Look at the address for this blog...pontevistaTRUTH.blogspot.com as opposed to Mark's pontevista.blogspot.com. It is obvious that you are out to insult Mark and his blog. Don't act so innocent Tom. You're not a victim Tom, in fact it's quite opposite.

Your Friend,
Anonymous

Now I will be prepared to be "moderated". I suspect you will not want my comment to be viewed by the public.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous 10:07 is right Tom. It appears you are not respecting freedom of speech on your site. You don't have to respond to comments, but you shouldn't delete them. All the deletions give the appearance you (and your cause) are not willing to face certain criticisms.

Tom said...

Anonymous 10:07am and Anonymous 1:08pm

Both your comments are still up, and will remain so.

What I object to is baiting, insults and insults to my family. I think everyone would agree they would not want their family insulted.

I also don't want to quarrel, just for quarreling's sake.

Thank you both for taking the rhetoric down a notch. Your comments on my posts are welcomed.

Tom

Anonymous said...

Peace Tom. If people are insulting innocent family members and/or are being vulgar, then do what you need to do.
Anyhow, call it baiting or debating or arguing...it's all about fashioning a strategy that attempts to make the other party see where their theories/thinking falls short. It also helps others develop opinions and take sides. So call it baiting or trolling if you want, but you need to read the words in the context of exposing weakness.
Thanks,
Anonymous/Marky Maypo/R1 Gangster Whichever you prefer...

Tom said...

Thanks for the bit of levity.

Tom